A member in good standing is one who is committed to the purpose of the Junior League. She will demonstrate her commitment through quality volunteer service and adherence to the rules adopted by the Junior League of Long Island.
Each Active member must:
- Do acceptable placement work on one Administrative Committee or one League project.
- Actives may serve a maximum of two years on an Administrative Committee unless specifically asked to chair it for the third year.
- Committee Chairs will be responsible for notifying the Nominating Placement Committee on a timely basis of any member whose performance is deemed unacceptable. The Nominating Placement Advisor, in conjunction with the Chairs, will attempt to facilitate maximum volunteer effort. Failure to attain the goal of complete cooperation will result in probation. Probationary status will be issued only once.
- Board of Directors will be responsible for notifying the Nominating Placement Committee on a timely basis of any Committee Chair whose performance is deemed unacceptable. The Nominating Placement Advisor, in conjunction with the Chairs, will attempt to facilitate maximum volunteer effort. Failure to attain the goal of complete cooperation will result in probation. Probationary status will be issued only once.
- Community placements are encouraged but will not be accepted in lieu of a member’s required League placement.
- Pay annual dues of $130.00 by April 15th. A late payment fee will be instituted for payments received from April 16th through May 31st, of $25.00. Members whose dues have not been received by June 1st, will be dropped from membership (see Bylaws, Article V, Section 1(b).
- Support the Thrift Shop by donating at least $250.00 in merchandise to the Thrift Shop by May 15.
- Volunteer a total of 5 hours at the Thrift Shop, by June 1st.
- Attend five monthly membership meetings. It is the responsibility of the member to sign the attendance sheet, or log in their name on the Zoom Chat (for hybrid meetings).
- There is an expectation that in addition to annual dues, members shall support JLLI fundraising through the purchase of tickets to League sponsored events, donating new goods/or services (such as raffle items) as necessary or volunteering their time to work the event(s) to complete their Fundraiser requirement.
- Sign-up and attend at least two League projects.
- Attend the May Placement Fair.
- Each Active member must have an interview with her Placement Advisor, throughout the League year.
In addition, to enhance her league experience, each active member should:
- Be apprised of the workings of the League and the responsibilities of membership. To enable members to have appropriate and current information, the League provides monthly General Membership Meetings (GMM), a monthly E-Newsletter, a Placement Advisor for each member, Year End Shorelines, and a Member Handbook which is updated annually.
- Attend a minimum of one training session, which may be fulfilled in the following ways:
- Attendance at any seminar offered by Education/Training.
- Attendance at any Provisional Training lecture.
- Attendance at an outside course, pre-approved by Education/Training (Membership Training & Activities Director).
- Attendance of Leadership Training.
- Attendance at General Membership Meetings that offer training.
FIRST YEAR ACTIVE MEMBERS
First Year Actives are to fulfill all Active membership requirements (as listed above). Additionally, within the first three years of Active service, they must be a Committee member of a minimum of one League Project. First Year Actives are ineligible for any discretionary leaves of absence with the exception of an emergency leave.
Each Provisional member of the Junior League of Long Island is required to complete the following requirements:
- A 30 minute Orientation Session with the Membership Development Team.
- Satisfy the credit requirement for each of the eight core training subjects.
- These training modules are to be completed within a 12-month period.
- Attend two General Membership Meetings (GMM).
- Submit payment for Provisional Fee of $20.00 (One-time payment).
- Submit payment for Membership Dues of $130.00.
- Complete two League Project days of service.
- Thrift Shop Contribution – Volunteer hours and donation.
- Volunteer Hours at Thrift Shop (See below for hours).
- Donation Contribution (See below for value amount).
- Fundraiser Support – Volunteer hours and attendance.
- Volunteer Hours at the event.
- Donation Contribution (Attendance and or Raffle donation).
- Attend a Placement Meeting at the completion of all other requirements.
The provisional member understands there are no refunds of Provisional Fees and Membership Dues. For provisional members there will be a prorated dues rate based on The Junior League of Long Island’s July 1st – June 30th fiscal year timeframe.
The Annual Dues fee schedule is as follows:
For members joining;
- July 1 – September 30 – 100% Dues ($130.00)
- October 1 – December 31 – 75% Dues ($97.50)
- January 1 – March 31 – 50% Dues ($65.00)
- April 1 – June 30 – 25% Dues ($32.50)
Provisional members will also have prorated Thrift Shop requirement based on The Junior League of Long Island’s July 1st – June 30th fiscal year timeframe.
The Thrift Shop Contribution requirement is as follows:
For members joining;
- July 1 – December 31 – $250.00 estimated value of clothing, housewares, other household items.
- January 1 – June 30 – $150.00 estimated value of clothing, housewares, other household items.
The Thrift Shop Volunteer Hour requirement is as follows:
For members joining;
- July 1 – December 31 – 5 Volunteer Hours at the Thrift Shop
- January 1 – June 30 – 3 Volunteer Hours at the Thrift Shop